The Council has spoken, the votes have been cast, and the results are in for this weeks’ Watcher’s Council contest, carved eternally in the records of our secret archives hidden in a forgotten Knight’s Templar headquarters near Islay.
This weeks’ winner by a nose in the Council category, Joshuapundit‘s The Secret Blue State Plan To Steal The 2012 Elections focused on a well funded, well organized and little known plan by prominent Progressives to make the electoral college irrelevant and disenfranchise the voters of individual states in national elections by legislative diktat and examined who’s behind it. Here’s a slice:
The deep Blue states above all have something in common. They’re all ruled by solid Democrat majorities in their State Legislatures and they’ve all passed legislation designed to favor Democrat urban strongholds, disenfranchise less populated Red States and have a decisive effect on the 2012 election.
And very few people know about it.
The legislation is known as The National Popular Vote bill, and there’s an ongoing attempt to get it passed in as many states as possible. It’s mainly being championed by Democrats, with a sprinkling of Republicans to give it the aura of ‘bi-partisanship’.
The states above control 138 electoral votes. Because they’ve all signed on to The National Popular Vote Act, those electoral votes will automatically go to the candidate who gets the most popular votes nationally – regardless of how the citizens of these states actually vote.
For instance, let’s say that in 2012 the largely Republican voters in downstate Illinois and some of the suburbs manage to outvote the Democrats, corpses, illegal aliens and vagrants put together by the ward bosses and the machine in Chicago and Cook County. Because the Democrats in the Illinois Legislature have managed to push the National Popular Vote Act through, Illinois’ 20 electoral votes would go not necessarily to the Republican candidate the majority of voters in the state chose but to whichever candidate got the majority of votes nationally. If Barack Obama were to win the popular vote nationally by even as little as 100 votes, Illinois’ 20 electoral votes will automatically go him.
This scenario is also known as Al Gore’s wet dream.
None of these states held a referendum on this. It was all done by legislative fiat.
In our non-Council category, the winner was Christopher Hitchens‘ reflection on the lessons and legacy of 9/11, Simply Evil submitted by The Watcher.
Here are this week’s full results:
- *First place with 2 2/3 votes! Joshuapundit–-The Secret Blue State Plan To Steal The 2012 Elections
- Second place with 2 1/3 votes – The Razor-A Short List of Lessons Since 9-11
- Third place with 1 2/3 vote – The Noisy Room – The Hate That Never Ended
- Fourth place with 1 1/3 votes – Simply Jews-Iran irked by errors in Qurans from China
- Fifth place with 1 vote – Bookworm Room-Paul Krugman And Potemkin Jobs
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – The Colossus Of Rhodey – Evidence that racism must not really be a problem anymore
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – New Zeal – Rep. Dennis Kucinich, Russian Sympathizer
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – Right Truth – The Meaning Of Memorial For 9/11
- Sixth place *t* with 2/3 vote – GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD – What If 9/11 Never Happened?
- Seventh place *t* with 1/3 vote -The Political Commentator- Obama jobs speech: This time with feeling!
- First place with 2 2/3 votes! – Christopher Hitchens- Simply Evil submitted byThe Watcher
- Second place with 1 2/3 votes – Accuracy In Media – Media Prepare Russian Treaty Trap for the U.S. submitted by New Zeal
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes -Patterico – Bad Facts Make Bad (ADA) Law; The Case of the Alcoholic Truck Driver submitted by The Colossus of Rhodey
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes -Zen Pundit – R2P is a Doctrine Designed to Strike Down the Hand that Wields It submitted by The Glittering Eye
- Third place *t* with 1 1/3 votes -The Moral Liberal – The Art Of Political Rhetoric submitted by Right Truth
- Fourth place with 1 vote -Andrew McCarthy – How the NYPD Gets Jihad Right submitted by Joshuapundit
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -Commentary/Omri Ceren – New York Times not even bothering to source their anti-Israel partisans submitted by Bookworm Room
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -MISH’S Global Economic Trend Analysis – Deutsche Bank CEO says “It’s Obvious Many Banks Will Not Survive if Forced to Value Sovereign Debt at Market Prices” submitted by The Political Commentator
- Fifth place *t* with 2/3 vote -The Passing Parade – Dr. Strangetuber, Or How I learned To Stop Worrying And Love The Potato submitted by Simply Jews
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Fear, Honor and Interest – Libya: Airpower, SOF and the NTC submitted by GrEaT sAtAn”S gIrLfRiEnD
- Sixth place *t* with 1/3 vote -Business Insider/Nassim Taleb – The American Economy Will Transfer $5 Trillion To Banker Pay And Bonuses Over The Next 10 Years submitted by The Razor