AG Candidate Rob Bell Goes Negative with Sneaky Push Poll

I just got off the phone with a person calling from 804-446-4934 claiming to be conducting a survey about the Virginia Republican Convention.

I agreed to answer the three questions on the survey. I am signed up to be a Delegate and assumed this was related to that fact.

The first question was “Who do you support for the Republican Nomination for Attorney General, Rob Bell or Mark Obenshain”.

Ok. Fair question, but I am still undecided and undeclared. And I have not endorsed anyone in any of the races yet.

The second question wanted to know if I was going to the Convention.

But the third question is where the negative “push polling” came in.

Wikipedia defines Push Poll this way:

A push poll is an interactive marketing technique, most commonly employed during political campaigning, in which an individual or organization attempts to influence or alter the view of respondents under the guise of conducting a poll.

The last question falls into the category.

What do you think is the most important for the next Attorney General:

1. That they protect the Constitution.

2. That they protect property rights.

3. That they protect the 2nd Amendment.

4. That they are a lawyer in a large Law Firm.

5. That they come from a powerful political family.

My first thought was that whoever wrote this question was an idiot. The first three responses are covered by #1. Protect the Constitution. Which made sense when I heard the real reason for the poll.

The last two push responses were out of bounds for a true gentleman.

And as I said, I am undecided.

But after this underhanded poll, I am leaning towards Mark Obenshain.

Rob Bell should pull this type of tactic. It smacks of desperation.

And by the way, the last thing the pollster said was “This poll was paid for and approved by Rob Bell”.

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog. Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

7 Responses to “AG Candidate Rob Bell Goes Negative with Sneaky Push Poll”

1. Ellie Lockwood says:

Actually I disagree with you ( for once! ;-) ) I see Bell and Obenshain pretty similar, giving an edge to Bell. BUT I am tired of the Legacy candidates. Bush, Kennedy, Clinton, Gore, and on and on. Bell gets my vote.

• Tom White says:

I hate negative push polls. If they want to say something, come out and say it. Don’t pretend you are doing a poll. I am still undecided, but in a tight race, this may be all that is needed to sway my vote. Bell is hardly an outsider. And Mark and his sister are hardly a dynasty, and their Dad Richard has been gone 35 years. I know the name opened doors for them, but they both earned their own way politically speaking. I would love to see Kate run for office. She is a bright lady and a great Conservative voice.

• Jason Kenney says:

I gotta agree with Tom on this one – it was an attempt to paint Obenshain with the legacy brush without coming out and saying it. If you’re going to take the swing, take it and put your name on it. Don’t beat around the bush. Or the Clinton.

2. I got the same call today. I am a diehard Obenshain person, but this is definitely not a push poll. There are people supporting Mark because of his Dad, so iding those people is a legit thing for a campaign to do.

I took notes on the survey and it said…
    3. Finally, what issue is the most important to you for deciding our next Attorney General?
    01 Fighting Crime
    02 Defending the Constitution
    03 Protecting property rights
    04 Protecting 2nd amendment rights
    05 Experience running a large law firm
    06 Family History
    98 Undecided
    99 Refused

These are all reasons to run for LG, and the Bell campaign was just trying to ID people.

3. James Cohen says:

If you were in the room with Scott Walker and Ken Cuccinelli, it could not be more clear who got the lions share of applause when names of electeds were mentioned. Mark Obenshain is a Virginia Beach Favorite. His record stands alone as outstanding. Any insinuation that Rob Bell has made about Marks name is disgusting. I recd one of his campaign phone calls and it was a real disappointment..

4. Brian Cobbs says:

Relax!

Push polling is asking voters (fictional – no evidence of this happening but still famous) in South Carolina, “Do you still support Senator McCain considering he had an affair and had a bi-racial love-child?”

Asking voters if “family history” is important to them is hardly a damning indictment. Apparently Obenshein comes from a connected family, but he’s hardly Meghan McCain. I really don’t think Bell’s camp meant ill by this call.

From what I can tell, both Bell and Obenshein are solid conservatives. I like Bell more because he’s a UVa alum and I was impressed when I saw him in person, but let’s not pretend this is a dirty race.

Go Rob!

1. […] the Attorney General race starting to get a bit nasty? Tom White was polled on the AG race and didn’t take kindly to the Rob Bell campaign’s insinuation that Mark […]