Check out this report from the Climate Change Action Blog on ICLEI:
In a strong show of support for the new Climate Change Task Force Statement on Action to Face the Urgent Realities of Climate Change, ICLEI- Local Governments fore Sustainability have committed to use the Statement to underpin its own new initiative, GreenClimateCities.
ICLEI is an association of over 1220 local government members committed to sustainable development. Its members come from 70 countries and represent approximately 570 million people.
On 18 June 2012 in Rio de Janeiro, ICLEI Secretary-General Mr. Konrad Otto- Zimmermann (pictured above) and Martha Delgado, Minister of Environment, Mexico City, representing Marcelo Ebrard, Mayor of Mexico City and Chair of the World Mayors Council on Climate Change, spoke during the launch of the CCTF Statement.
“The GreenClimateCities initiative invites cities worldwide to join efforts by local governments from all parts of the world to take voluntary climate action now and not wait for national governments to eventually come to a global climate agreement,” ICLEI said in a statement.
I am astounded but in no way surprised that ICLEI is doing this: They have come up with this alter ego: Green Climate Cities. It’s ICLEI without the membership:
- WorkNets of cities collaborating on learning & doing
- Comprehensive program offering process facilitation, tools and technical advice
- 3x3x3 STEP* methodology for analysis, planning, implementation,monitoring and reporting
- Transparent management, control and reduction of greenhouse gas emissions for better accountability
- Global networking and capacity building with access to ICLEI‘s global knowledge and solutions partners
- Tools compatible with global emissions accounting and reporting standards for better access to finance
- Integration with other city development goals and agendas such as resilient, resource-efficient, biodiverse city
- Upgrade towards smarter urban infrastructure
- Core contribution to a greener urban economy
Sustainability Through Environmental Performance
Join Green Climate Cities® – benefit from ICLEI’s 20 years of experience with the global Cities for Climate Protection (CCP) Campaign!
Green Climate Cities is ICLEI’s global brand of a framework for low-carbon city development
Know why ICLEI is doing this? Because you won. People like you and I have made ICLEI so odious in community and community throughout the United States that many cities will not renew or even join ICLEI at all. I would think they are not getting enough new members to offset all those not renewing and leaving ICLEI.
So take a moment. Sit down and fix yourself a tall sweetened tea. Enjoy the moment; you and millions like you have ICLEI on the run. For the first time in US history, we are winning against an adjunct of the UN. I will give praise to the Lord of Hosts who can still fight for our Republic, if we turn back to Him! But we are not fooled. We do not know what is the relationship between ICLEI and this Green Climate Cities. But it’s there. GCC is probably a front organization for ICLEI. To try to show there is no confederation with foreigners anymore. That’s ICLEI over there! This is GCC! But there is some sort of relationship. It is probably still unconstitutional. It definitely is a covert way to bring Agenda 21 to your city or community. When this Fifth Column comes to your town, let the city fathers know: You’re on to them. It’s still ICLEI under a different name. I am sure ICLEI gets the money. And ICLEI is still ICKY!