Death of a Hero – John R. Yeager

John R. Yeager - 101st Airborne

John R. Yeager - 101st Airborne

News comes from my cousin John P. in Wheeling W.Va of the loss of his friend and fellow Airborne “Screaming Eagle” 101st member John R. Yeager. I never met Yeager, and my cousin’s words about the life of this hero are enough to convince me of the kind of man he was, but his obituary tells the story as well.

YEAGER, John R. (Tray) Jr., 62, a True American War Hero, passed away Saturday June 20, 2009. John was born to John R. and Joan Wilson Yeager Sr. in Parsons, WV on December 19, 1946. John graduated from Weir High School in 1964, and immediately enlisted in the United States Army, serving in the 101st Airborne Division- “Screaming Eagles” where he was a recipient of a Purple Heart and two Bronze Stars, one with letter V device First Oak Leaf Cluster. After fighting in Vietnam, John returned home for a life devoted to fighting for justice as an attorney. He eventually earned his Law Degree from West Virginia University, and opened his law practice in Weirton in 1978. John’s true passion was helping others. He offered a lot of pro bono legal counsel for local veterans, served as Mental Health Commissioner for 20 years, was the keynote speaker at numerous veteran groups, and authored articles in the Time Life Magazine. John was a member of the VFW 2716, and the First United Methodist Church in Weirton, where he formerly taught adult Sunday school. He was an avid outdoorsman who enjoyed fishing and spending time with his family.

Interment in Union Cemetery, Steubenville, Ohio, with full military graveside services conducted by American Legion Post 10 Honor Guard.

Memorial contributions may be made in John’s memory to the Disabled American Veterans P.O. BOX 14301 Cincinnati, OH 45250-0301 Attn: Gift Processing.

If you are not inclined to send a donation, a prayer of thanks and remembering his wife and kids would be appreciated, or hoist a drink in his honor.

My cousin John P. has always downplayed his service to our country and does not seek accolades for doing his duty. John P. left a leg in Vietnam, but he made it back alive where so many did not. We all owe a debt of gratitude to those that guard and fight for our freedom.

To John R. (Tray) Yeager I say:
Mission accomplished. Job well done. Now soar with the eagles you used to walk among.

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog.Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

15 Responses to “Death of a Hero – John R. Yeager”

1. April says:

Pretty cool post. I just found your site and wanted to say
    that I have really liked browsing your posts. In any case
    I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon!

2. April says:

Pretty cool post. I just found your site and wanted to say
    that I have really liked browsing your posts. In any case
    I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon!

3. John Yeager … he was special so very special to us! His passing leaves me all the more ordinary in his wake. For the Glorious Place he has gone, ours is the more lonely contemplating our life without him here. The Miller Family Wheeling West Virginia

4. Would you like to see some of John's Writing? He has a section of his Vietnam Diary here:

5. Would you like to see some of John's Writing? He has a section of his Vietnam Diary here:

6. Christina Glosser says:

Thank you so very much for your kind words! My father was truley a great man and my family is lost without him. My only comfort is to remember how he touched so many lives and really made a difference and faught for what was right. He was a true family man and his memory will live on forever! We miss him so much!

Christina, I am glad to do it. John Pasquali is my cousin, and your Dad was a very special person to him. John told me about him and I am sad I never had the opportunity to meet him, but he did so much good in every phase of his life. My Dad was 82nd and he has been gone 17 years this week. Just knowing that there are people in this world like your Dad makes it a better place. His memory will live for many, many years. I am so sorry for your loss, but I am sure Heaven is now a better place, if that is possible.

9. Christina Glosser says:

Thank you and I am also very sorry for your loss as well! Also, I wanted to ask if you could extend my very heartfelt thanks to your cousin John Pasquali for me and my mother? He came to the funeral and was such a big help with making sure that my dad had all the correct metals on. We were all in such shock at the time, that we couldnt remember what to do when it came to pinning his medals on him at the viewing. Your cousin John went out to his car and retrieved his own personal pin metals that we needed for my father's lapel and directed my husband on how to correctly place them.

10. Christina Glosser says:

I could tell that Mr. Pasquali was very upset and shocked himself over the loss of my father. Please tell him that John Pasquali was a name I heard often from my dad in stories or passing along a funny joke that he sent to my dad, but I never had the chance to meet John until the funeral. Please let him know that we were so thankful he was able to make it and that he was very special to my father. I want him to know it gave me great comfort to finally have the pleasure of meeting one of my fathers good friends. If he ever wants to get ahold of me please tell him I would love to hear from him. Once again, thank you for your comments. It means alot!

11. ??????? says:

?????????? ????????????????? ?? ??????, ????? ??????? ??? ??????? ?? ?????. ??? ? ???? ??? ??????????????