ARLINGTON, Va. – On Thursday, October 8, 2009, ProjectVirginia released Twitter usage data for Republicans and Democrats currently running for elected office in Virginia. To view the entire report, click here.
BY THE NUMBERS:
• Republicans in Virginia have more than twice as many total Twitter users following them as their Democratic counterparts. Followers: “R” = 13,074. “D” = 6,328.
• Republicans hold a 33-18 lead among candidates using a dedicated campaign Twitter account.
• 9 of the Top 10 Candidates for VA House of Delegates with the most Twitter followers are Republicans.
• Republican statewide candidates – McDonnell, Bolling, Cuccinelli – have 8,462 followers versus the 5,073 users following Democratic statewide candidates Deeds, Wagner, and Shannon.
* (Twitter figures as of 12p.m. EST 10/07/09) *
WHAT WE’RE SEEING: “It’s clear Virginia Republicans have taken the lead in using Twitter to connect with voters. Twitter’s overall impact on politics has yet to be fully realized or quantified, but it’s apparent that campaigns which are early adopters of social media tools will be more engaged with their supporters.”
- Ford O’Connell, President, ProjectVirginia
ABOUT PROJECTVIRGINIA: ProjectVirginia provides practical advice and hands-on assistance to connect Virginia’s Republican candidates with voters using cutting-edge communication technologies. ProjectVirginia publishes a blog on using web 2.0 and social media tools (http://ProjectVirginia.com/blog).
REFERENCES AND RESOURCES:
• ProjectVirginia’s campaign toolkit – www.ProjectVirginia.com/campaign-resources
• Swing State Project political analysis -http://www.swingstateproject.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=5608
Please visit www.projectvirginia.com for more information.