Categorized | Featured, News

Gingrich protege taps voter unrest with tax-killer strategy

Kenrick Ward at Watchdog.Org has a really good post that captures the dynamics in the 12th Senatorial State Senate race in Virginia:

Newt

By Kenric Ward | Watchdog.org Virginia Bureau

RICHMOND, Va. — Former presidential hopeful Newt Gingrich says state Senate candidate Vince Haley’s call to abolish Virginia’s income tax is “brilliant.”

Gingrich may be a bit biased, since Haley has worked for him since 2003. But the former U.S. House speaker says Haley has “the work ethic, the courage and the intellect” to change the political landscape in Virginia.

“It’s one thing to talk about lowering taxes. They can always be raised again. It’s another to eliminate taxes. That’s a huge difference, and it shows strategic thinking,” Gingrich said. He pointed to Texas, Florida and New Hampshire as three states thriving without taxing personal incomes.

Interviewed by Watchdog.org, Gingrich says he has no political aspirations for himself. But the McLean resident says his protege is ready for political battle to make Virginia the ninth state without an income tax.

Photo by Kenric Ward

THE CANDIDATE: Vince Haley is reaching out to voters tired of Virginia’s personal income tax.

Haley, a first-time candidate, is champing at the bit.

Whether pushing a middle-of-the-road state Senate to free-market positions, or pushing back against overreaching federal regulations, Haley said “political confrontation, not lawsuits,” will win the day.

The attorney’s first big test will be the June 9 Republican primary to succeed retiring Sen. Walter Stosch, R-Henrico, in the 12th Senate District.

Read the rest of the story here.

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog.

Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

8 Responses to “Gingrich protege taps voter unrest with tax-killer strategy”

1. Bob Lane says:

I really like Vince but I just don’t see enough from his campaign. He is the only candidate who has not sent me anything in the mail. He’s not on TV. I have heard about half a radio ad for him.

I met Eddie Whitlock through his coaching at the Tuckhoe YMCA and my Church and had initially written him off but I plan on voting for him as I have seen a lot of activity from his campaign. Three sets of mail from him have come to my house in the past two weeks. I have had people from his campaign calling me to ask for my vote and knocking at my door.

We need to unite around a candidate that will beat the two RINO’s in this race. I thought it was Haley but I’m afraid not. Whitlock is good on guns, even the VCDL said so. The thought of having Bill Janis or Dr. Stolle turning the State Capitol into an open air market were our Liberty is bought and sold makes my stomach turn.

• Zach Werrell

Bob,

Believe me, our campaign is doing just fine. I will not reveal any hard numbers at this time (we may in the coming days), but I can say our campaign has the best field program I have ever seen in terms of direct voter contact – Dave Brat’s primary campaign (which I managed) included.

We have a very sophisticated methodology by which we target voters for outreach, so it is probable that you are not on our mailing lists or door knocking lists.

It is impossible to say for sure, but all the ‘Bob Lane’s that live in the 12th district do not vote very frequently (like at all), with one exception… and that Bob Lane has been mailed quite a few pieces, on top of having been called a number of times.

If you want to get on our mailing list, email me at zwerrell@gmail.com, and I will gladly put you on.

Thanks!

Zachary Werrell

2. Ned Williams says:

You can’t criticize a candidate ( Haley) for not taking Lobbyist Money to fund his campaign.

Janis and Dunnavant and Whitlock raised money from the crony capitalists who run Richmond. They won’t represent the People when elected. They will represent the donor class.

A yard sign or TV AD is not symbolic of a candidate’s grassroots efforts or SUPPORT.

• Bob Lane says:

Janis and Dunnavant yes but I’ve looked at the VPAP reports and everybody but Whitlock seems to be taking money from Superpacs, Vince Haley included.

I don’t know if this is on purpose by Whitlock or not (I haven’t seen any sort of pledge from him) but it is refreshing to not see tens of thousands of dollars from political organizations on his contributor rolls.

3. Ned Williams says:

Mr. Lane:

Laura Lafayette is the CEO of the Richmond Realtors Association and she held a fundraiser for Candidate Eddie Whitlock at her Corwin Drive mansion in Wyndam. The invitation was on FB of all places. She is a LOBBYIST. Duh.

She’s a liberal Democrat- worked in Governor Doug Wilder’s administration- the poster child of the Meals Tax Referendum that passed in Henrico County. She’s now a mouthpiece for the Affordable Housing liberals in the McAuliffe Administration.

Be informed!!!!

• William Bannister says:

Michael Lafayette, Laura’s husband, is Eddie’s law partner and a long time fundraiser for Republican Candidates. The Richmond Realtors Associations connection to Eddie is laughable given they endorsed Bill Janis.

Like many families in this country the Lafayettes go to the polls every year to cancel each others votes out.

4. Bob Edwards says:

Like many families in this country the Lafayette’s go to the polls every year to cancel each others votes out.

1. […] the Kenrick Ward piece, Gingrich Protégé Taps Voter Unrest with Tax-Killer Strategy, Gingrich touches upon something near and dear to my heart: Eliminating […]