In one of the most bizarre confrontations I have seen by members of the White House Press, Chip Reid from CBS and Helen Thomas from the Stone Age were all over Robert Gibbs and the Obama Town Hall meeting. When I watched this, my jaw literally dropped. The emotional side of my brain pushed the logical side deep into my subconscious. Had the main stream media awakened from the Kool-Aid induced Obama fan club? Had integrity and objectivity suddenly returned to the Press? Were they really attacking Gibbs for the total lack of transparency from Obama? WOW! Amazing stuff. Take a look for yourself.

But after reflecting on what I saw, and watching it a second time, the logical side of my brain pushed it’s way back on top of my emotional side. I believe Helen and Chip have a different take on what constitutes openness and transparency than the great unwashed masses.

I believe their anger was not anger at all, but jealousy. To them, transparency and openness means a front row seat to any and all appearances by the messiah. They were hurt. They feel like they were cheated. First, a silly blogger is given a phone call and promised to give a soft ball question, now the press was barely invited to a town hall meeting. Thomas makes a reference to the “old” way of doing town hall meetings where “opposing” opinions were allowed. But Thomas actually considers people that are not the elite reporters like herself to be “opposing” questions. As in questions posed by outsiders.

Nope. I really wanted it to be true. But same old press. Same old one sided reporting. Journalist prostitutes.

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog.Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

7 Responses to “Helen Thomas and Chip Reid of CBS Hammer Robert Gibbs on Obama's Lack of Transparency”

1. Harry Daniels says:

Your take on the exchange has merit; however, I think the "bloom is coming off the rose". The suspicion by the 2 seems to indicate that there may be more dissatisfaction emerging. The exchange was wonderful to observe.

2. Harry Daniels says:

I think I am afraid to hope for a return to real journalism. I can say this, if the press hammers Obama half as hard as they did Bush, he is done. They are the only thing keeping him afloat. I look for Obama to kiss some press butt and offer them more Kool-aid. Hope it won't work.

5. AngelaKW says:

I don't know Tom – I think your first impression was correct. Helen Thomas has seen her fair share of Presidents. When she says "this has never been done before" with the non-to-subtle reference to "you people" who talk about "being open", I think that speaks volumes. Robert Gibbs is in way over his head and is a gaping hole in Obama's otherwise flawless armor of press mastery. Let's hope he sticks around for a while and that more of the media take him to task.

6. AngelaKW says:

1. […] Now, if anyone thinks this is a free and open Town Hall meeting, I have a crumbling bridge in almost any state to sell you. This will be a hand picked audience, with pre selected questions and an Obama love fest combined with a Sham-Wow commercial. Slick Hollywood production styled drivel. This is exactly the type of phony, staged event Helen Thomas and Chip Reid were complaining about. […]