I was impressed by two news items relating to the campaign of John Adams for AG.

Senator Siobhan Dunnavant has endorsed Adams!  Here’s the story from Bearing Drift.  Adams has quite a resume:

Adams is a first-time candidate for Attorney General and works in government investigations at McGuire Woods. He has previously served our country in the United States Navy, graduated law school from UVA, clerked for Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas, served as White House Counsel to President George W. Bush, and was as an Assistant United States’ Attorney for the Eastern District.

I am impressed.  Especially with the clerkship for Justice Thomas and the Associate White House Counsel, in spite of my skepticism on things relating to Bush.  Adams is wired into the legal community in Richmond.  The Senator Dunnavant endorsement from Adams’ campaign:

“As a doctor, I am trained to diagnose a problem and prescribe a solution.  The problem in Virginia is we have an Attorney General who routinely ignores the Constitution, laws passed by the General Assembly, and the will of the people of Virginia, in order to advance a political agenda.  The solution is to elect an Attorney General with outstanding legal qualifications and management experience, combined with a life long commitment to our Constitution, the rule of law, and public service.  John Adams is that candidate.”

Here’s something that impresses me even more:  Money and lots of it and most of it from the legal community.  Here is the VPAP report.  Over $408,000!  Again Adams is wired into the legal and business community in Richmond.

Now, normally I’d give serious consideration to Adams (Incidentally, how can you not like a name like John Adams – his namesake was our second President, firebrand for independence, a lawyer who defended the British soldiers accused in the Boston Massacre [and won] and very honorable Founding Father.) he’s the underdog with a huge bite.  I will support the GOP candidate in the general election I am sure.

BUT I promised Del. Rob Bell my help and I plan to keep that promise.  So let’s lay a marker right here – not a blog endorsement – just Sandy’s endorsement – BUT I am still for Rob Bell for AG.  Here’s how you can help.

Surely either Adams

About Elwood Sanders

Elwood “Sandy” Sanders is a Hanover attorney who is an Appellate Procedure Consultant for Lantagne Legal Printing and has written ten scholarly legal articles. Sandy was also Virginia’s first Appellate Defender and also helped bring curling in VA! (None of these titles imply any endorsement of Sanders’ views)

9 Responses to “I Was Impressed by the Support for John Adams for Attorney General BUT I am FOR Del. Rob Bell!”

1. Paul T says:

Mr. Sanders I don’t always agree with you but I am totally on board for Rob Bell as well.
    Resumes are great but the Bush connection is way too much ! Rob came to our Mech. TEA party meeting
    and outlined his positions very well.

2. Paul Blumstein says:

This article isn’t up to your normal standards. From what you say, the only reason your prefer Bell over Adams is that you promised him your help? No other reason?

3. NO URANIUM MINING IN VIRGINIA says:

Sandy:

Did you know that Delegate Bell supports Uranium Mining In Virginia?

When the voters of Virginia discover Bell took $30,000 from Baxter Gilliam ( Virginia Uranium) who also donated $50,000 to Bob McDonnell’s Get out of Jail Free Fund THEY WILL NOT SUPPORT BELL for AG. The GOP agenda to open up the Pittsylvania mines will be exposed.

A uranium mining accident will contaminate drinking water in Virginia all the way to Va Beach.

Do your homework….

4. lawrence wood says:

If resumes made good elected political candidates and/or officials Obama would be at the top of everyone’s list while political endorsements today are largely worthless coin in my opinion unless they come from the actual base constituents an individual has served or represented in the past and has established a proven record among. Finally, Republican candidate generalities criticizing the likes of current Attorney General Mark R. Herring’s AG job interpertation and state constitutional adherence I don’t believe even ranks at the level of opponent cherry picking, generating in my mind the ubiquitous Homer Simpson comment “dud”.

So what do we have here with Mr. Adams, besides what looks to me as the most standard of standard Republican establishment candidates, a life long government sponsored employee, shrink-wraped in a nice former Bush administration delivery package, with plenty of corporate and legal associations campaign cash flow support from the brokered power elites in Richmond. Not exactly a “back to the future candidate” but more of a “back to the past” one. If Ed Gillespie is your idea of our state’s future then John Adams may well be the perfect AG bookend to a return to “the Virginia way”. Remember that term roughtly translated for the state voter and common folk by “shut up and go back to sleep”? The 2017 Virginia election outcomes may well tell us here in the state if there is truly a populist change event underway in the nation or if Donald Trump was just a short term aberration generated by the bad smell wafting off of Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton

5. Sam Mollaei, Esq says:

It is a nice story to hear. Really this information has much value in all lawful business. Attorney general talks nice because this rule should be applied in law…

6. Lisa says:

Thanks for sharing great story and I have read the Adams’ campaign it was very well written.

Once again thanks for the share
    Regards