Tom Shields Supporters Admit To Deceiving Seniors In 73rd House Race

ShieldsAcorn
Recently, a self professed supporter of Democrat Tom Shields has been posting some rather curious comments on several of my posts concerning Shields and his ties to Acorn. He goes by the name Alter of Freedom and that is apparently the name of his blog. Some of his comments give details of the results of canvasing Tom Shields has done, and the Blog has numerous pro Shields posts.

One of the more disturbing revelations in these comments is Alter’s claim that they are telling retired seniors to blame Delegate O’Bannon because they have not received their State tax refunds.

Alter commented:

By the way I spoke with about two dozen “retired” folks in the 73rd that as of yet still have not received that State Tax refund…..ummm guess who they blame for that…and it ain’t Tom Shields….I guess the shortfall is worse than O’Bannon has been saying….

So, a supporter claiming to be on the inside of the Shields campaign is telling retired seniors that their refunds are being held up for a lack of State funds, and Delegate O’Bannon is to blame. In an email, Alter claims he has told the retired seniors:

“I have informed them to repeatedly, as in daily, to call their Delegate.”

Note: The email is printed below minus personal info.

In a reply to his notion that O’Bannon is to blame for late tax refunds I replied:

And a State Tax Refund? They are all pushed out and no refund is being held up for lack of money in Virginia. California, yes. But the one in charge of the VA DOT is the Governor and the Treasurer. So, I would guess Tim Kaine and Jody Wagner are who they blame. Democrats all. Delegate O’Bannon has nothing at all to do with the Dept. of Taxation. He is a lawmaker, part of the Legislative Branch. The Va Dept of Taxation is part of the Executive branch of State Government.

And if anyone has filed a tax return and it has been several weeks, they need to call the Dept. of Taxation to find out what is wrong. My refund took just over a week. I filed electronically.

Delegate O’Bannon can give them the same info I just gave you, but he is not authorized to write a tax refund.

And I asked Alter to send me their names:

Send me the names and numbers of the three who have not received their tax refunds and I will see that they receive help. I can’t go to any Delegate or Senator, because of the privacy act. But I can advise them who to contact. Or, Dr. O’Bannon’s office could do the same thing.

Tom Shields needs to get control of these people that are working for him. While Alter may be totally clueless, to continue allowing these types of blatant lies to be spread by his workers is a level of dishonesty I have not seen since… well since looking at the Acorn tapes exposing the same deceptive practices that Acorn employs.

No wonder Tom Shields refuses to repudiate Acorn and his mentor, Congressman Bobby Scott. He obviously approves of this type of dishonesty.

If there are any Seniors living in the 73rd that have not received their State tax refunds, and filed in May (as Alter claims), you should immediately visit the Department of Taxation’s WhereIsMyRefund website or call them at (804) 367-2486.

And do not believe the misinformation from Tom Shields workers that any member of the House of Delegates or State Senate is holding up any money due to you by the state. This claim is not only ridiculous, it is completely false.

Shame on Shields for these Acorn like tactics.

Please read the post and the comments here.

Below is the email I received from Alter of Freedom:

I have forward you info to those concerned. It is up to them whether they wish to proceed. I was asked how “credible” you may be and frankly I really do not know you or your heart enough to give you there emails so they can contact you should they choose. I will leave it up to them. I have informed them to repeatedly, as in daily, to call their Delegate.

The person whom I think will certainly contact you is the former Director of Risk Management for the Commonwealth of Virginia who now retired lives in the 73rd….

As to the canvassing, the list comprised identifies those homes of “likely voters” who were engaged and either were undecided or “leaning” but not sure regarding their vote…..as to visiting three times….thats called follow-up….and frankly the same tact worked wonderfully during the Webb campaign. I would know. I can attest for some ten thousand meet & greet on the doorstep late summer 2006 and for seeing Chesterfield cast more votes for a Democrat for Senator in a long long time….it may not be the best strategy to underestimate campiagns.

By the way, how many of those “facebook friends” belong to the GOP committee in Henrico (GOP Henrico) and I wonder what the demo is…..the 73rd I would bet you has a significant number of voters in the higher demo that really is not the facebook crowd. How many “individuals” have contributed to O’Bannon in relation to his corporateand special interest donors Tom……thats hardly a netroots or grassroots value…………………….

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog.

Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

6 Responses to “Tom Shields Supporters Admit To Deceiving Seniors In 73rd House Race”

1. J.Williams says:

Curious. Where has Alter of Freedom endorsed anyone in the 73rd District. None of the posts on that blog regarding the race endorse Mr. Shields. The posts are objective in nature and simply analyze the race.
    Where does Alter, as we like to call him, offer an admission of misleading seniors. I see no post referencing anything regarding your topic in the thread. By looks of things I may have been the only person to come over and read it. Lonely place evidently. It seems to me that maybe you ought to thank Alter for linking this blog to his. Your a newbie. Alter has been on blogspot and been blogging in Chesterfield since before the Allen/Webb race about local politics. Instead you offer up some supposed email. Why on earth would you post an email someone sent you. You obviously do not by into the blogging ethics of the OD alliance of bloggers. If Alter sent you an email I am fairly certain he would have posted in your thread if he endorsed its publication. Thats just unethical.
    But then reading your posts why should we be surprised.

2. J.Williams says:

But then reading your posts why should we be surprised.

Who said Alter endorsed Shields? He only claims to be a campaign insider with access to internal polls and he has spoken to dozens of people. Perhaps he is walking the 73rd district independently just for fun. Stop pretending.

All I can say is read his comments. He admits it. He has commented on numerous posts. Read them. Search for Shields.

And I have endorsed no one here.

And I really don't care how long Alter has been blogging. But if experience means anything, you might want to note he has posted 233 posts and I am around 400. He has posted 31 posts in 2009. I have 400. I really would not call him anything more than a dabbler.

In reading some of the inaccuracies (which remain uncorrected) he accused me of falsely claiming Shields had accepted money from the SEIU / Acorn group. He claimed it was defamation. I sent him the link, and note that he has failed to correct the information on his blog.

He tries to demonize the Medical Industry as Insurance Companies.

And he allows people to believe O'Bannon is somehow responsible for seniors not receiving their tax returns. And tells them to call their Delegate.

There was no personal information in the part of the email I posted, not even an email address. And the address he sent it to was editor@varight.com. Note the word editor.

The reason for using PM was to protect the information of the people that have not received their refunds he was going to send me. But he did not send the info. My email address is posted on this blog. But, as I suspected, I have received no calls. I am honestly interested in putting thes folks in touch with the proper officials that can resolve their tax refund issue.

What I find unethical and unconscionable is for Alter to fail to point the seniors to the Dept. of Taxation and to try to make political points using the elderly as pawns. "Call your Delegate every day" is his advice. Even after I explained to him all about the three branches of Government. In addition, he tried to somehow blame Dr. O'Bannon for a revenue shortfall that is the reason for their tardy refunds.

It really upsets me to see him use seniors and lie to them like that. He knows the facts, but refuses to let them know. This type of slime ball politics is unforgivable. Using elderly and children for political gain is the best way I know of to show a complete lack of morals. And if Alter and Shields want to play this game, I have absolutely no respect for them.

And if you want to know how many people read my blog to find out about Tom Shields, I suggest you Google "Democrat Tom Shields". Or most any of the topics I write about. I have more than enough interest to feel it's worth my while.

But be aware that if you lie, take money from Acorn / SEIU or use elderly people or children as pawns, I will let people know about you.

And I have endorsed no one here.

He tries to demonize the Medical Industry as Insurance Companies.

5. J.Williams says:

The answer to your question Virginia Right is you did. You call Alter of Freedom a "self professed supporter of Shields" and yet he/she has never to date endorsed Shields.
    You also wrongly accuse supporters or "workers" as you call them from the Shields team as "blatant lies being spread by his (Shields) workers is a level of dishonesty" and yet offer up no basis for such. Alter of Freedom is well within his right to ask those constituents if they have informed their Delegate of the situation and if they have not to do so. I fail to see what is wrong with that.
    I would expect an apology myself based on your misleading post regarding his/her actions. No one at any time in this matter is using anyone as "pawns" except for you via your post. I read Alter of Freedom's post and in no way did he "demonize" the insurance industry. He simply linked the medical industry survival and interests in what transpires within government regarding insurance reform. If you can not manage to see how these two entities flower from the same seed I would suggest you get a handle on what it is you are posting.

6. J.Williams says: