WAS that SANDY the BLOGGER at the HENRICO GOP MEETING MONDAY?

It’s the political version of “Where’s Waldo” (Watch the Elwood jokes here!) and Waldo, I mean, Sandy the blogger was at the 12th state senate forum part of the Henrico GOP meeting Monday night.

I thought I was going to miss Cong. Brat (my hero!) by coming to Henrico but the Congressman was there for a few moments, acting (to paraphrase Rush Limbaugh) like he’s still having more fun than a human being ought to have.  It was good to see Cong. Brat there.

And yes, I proudly wore my Janis sticker to the event.  I am for Bill Janis for the 12th.  But there are three other candidates running and I wanted to give my readers a brief and as objective as I can do so report.

Dr. Siobhan (Stolle) Dunnavant, MD got to speak first and she told her story, a very impressive one about how she went from nurse to physician (Dunnavant is a OB/GYN).  Vince Haley came second and he thanked the Henrico GOP and the women’s club etc for the invite.  Haley had a nice manifesto and told me something I did not know:  The House of Delegates passed a TABOR style bill in 2013 but the senate killed it.  (TABOR is restricting the growth of government spending to the sum of the population growth and inflation.)  He is well spoken, an attorney who studied EU law (maybe I need to get Haley after Janis wins to do a guest column on this issue for the blog!) and of course as most of my readers know, worked or may still work for Newt Gingrich (another hero of mine) and Haley played the Newt card well.  Then Bill Janis spoke and he ended strong with this line stressing his legislative experience:  “The only one who can say this.”.  He won awards and was recognized for pro-life, Second Amendment, religious freedom and concluded each line with  “The only one who can say this.”  Proven experience.  The one that I knew the least (he does the collections for the firm I work for) was Eddie Whitlock, the final speaker and the third lawyer in the group.  Whitlock was impressive – both prior state bar experience (he was on a lawyers’ disciplinary committee and I admire him for that because I would run away from that job!) and GOP experience and a lifelong Henrico resident.  Whitlock asked a two prong test for all bills:  Is it a core function of government?  Can the market or private sector do it better?  If the answer to either is no, it’s a no from Whitlock.  I was very impressed with Whitlock.  Very.  He could be a surprise if he can meet enough people.

I must go.  Let’s make this a two parter.  I’ll cover the questions and the presser I got from Janis’ campaign tonight or tomorrow.

About Elwood Sanders

Elwood "Sandy" Sanders is a Hanover attorney who is an Appellate Procedure Consultant for Lantagne Legal Printing and has written ten scholarly legal articles. Sandy was also Virginia's first Appellate Defender and also helped bring curling in VA! (None of these titles imply any endorsement of Sanders’ views)

7 Responses to “WAS that SANDY the BLOGGER at the HENRICO GOP MEETING MONDAY?”

1. Gene Lefty says:

Sandy, ah, just why did your guy Janis give up his Delegate seat a few years ago?

• This is my opinion based on what I am told by various sources: Bill Janis was asked to run for Henrico Commonwealth’s Atty when it became apparent the GOP nominee was unsuitable for the job. So he gave up the safe seat to do what was right. Part of my admiration for Janis. Thanks again for coming by, Gene!
      Elwood “Sandy” Sanders recently posted…Waqtcher’s Council Nominations – On The Trail EditionMy Profile

• Ron Benghazi Hedlund

Bill Janis told me to my face that nobody asked him to run, and he decided on his own to run for that seat. That was over breakfast at Boychicks when he was seeking my support.

• Ron Benghazi Hedlund

So Sandy, my question is this.. who asked Bill Janis to run?

Ray Allen?

Boyd Marcus?

Eric Cantor?

Or is it as he reported to me, that nobody asked him to run. Is Janis confused by the fog of war, or are you confused by your glee of support for Janis?

• Gene Lefty says:

Why is the Henrico Comm. Atty. seat important enough for someone to give up their seat as a Del.?

Not sure why either Party would go to any great lengths for that position. Trivial position. Except for the bene’s and regular paycheck.

• Sandy Sanders

I totally disagree, Gene. The Com Atty must be a man or woman of integrity and discretion and it is crucial for voters to be more involved in these races. And for candidates to decide if they want to run for it. The 2013 Henrico CA race had disaster written all over it.

Ron, I do not speak for Bill Janis. But I understand that this situation was seen by Bill as one where duty required him to run. Now I have never met Ray Allen and I do not confer with him about anything. I may have met Boyd Marcus or may not. I did meet Cong. Cantor at a couple of events.

I support Bill Janis because I respect and admire him and think he’d make a good senator.

Sandy

2. Jordan Weeks says:

Bill Janis gave up his safe seat in Henrico so Dominion Power CEO Tom Farrell’s son Peter could have it- like that’s not the biggest conflict of interest in Virginia. Being a Delegate is more acceptable to the family than being an “actor” when your father is CEO of Dominion Power and your uncle runs McGuire Woods Law Firm. See how that works? When you are rich, you can Buy a Delegate seat for your son by asking the incumbent to step aside. Cantor was part of the this “scheme.” He backed the good party soldier Janis for Commonwealth Attorney in Henrico as an “INDEPENDENT” against the Republican. You can’t make this stuff up