Categorized | Opinion

10 Year Old Blogger-In-Training Pens Anti-Drug Message

The following message was written by my 10 year old nephew, Mitch, as part of the D.A.R.E. program at his school. If there is any question as to the effectiveness of this program, one need look no further.

I am also proud to say that Mitch is just as adamant when it comes to politics. A steadfast Conservative, it is a bit like talking to a young Alex P. Keaton, the character played by Michael J. Fox on the 80’s show Family Ties. Except at the end of the day, Mitch does not change his views as liberal Fox does.

Well done, Mitch!

D.A.R.E. Report by Mitch Elliott

I have learned that saying no and walking away from a drug or alcohol situation is a skill. I learned that the opinions of kids who pressure me to use drugs means nothing. I will hold my head high and be proud of the choices i make because i know God is on my side and will protect me from whatever meanness they try and throw my way. I know with that i am strong enough to say NO!!!!!! and proud enough to back it up by walking away. I choose to lead rather than follow.

The D.A.R.E. program made me more aware of the affects of drugs and alcohol have on the body. I try everyday to make good healthy choices about my food, who why would i go and ruin my brain, lungs and heart by drinking and doing drugs? You do not know if you are an alcoholic until you take that first sip of beer. Then you are hooked and won’t be able to get through your day without beer. Same with drugs. You know that you will get hooked and ruin your life by taking drugs. WHY WOULD YOU TAKE DRUGS if you know they are bad???? Its just like touching a hot stove, YOU KNOW before you touch it you will get burned. That’s why you don’t touch a hot stove. I wouldn’t want to let God and my Mom and Dad down by doing these things. I do not care what other people think when I know I have made the right choice. I want to always make the right choices because I don’t like the bad feelings and guilt that come with making bad choices. Guilt is God talking to your heart. If you listen to that you will make the right choice.

I pledge to never drink or use tobacco or any drugs. I do this for God, my family and myself.

Below video: Mitch makes a balloon toy for WTVR Channel 6 Cheryl Miller at a recent event. Even at 10 years old he understands the power of the press!

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog.Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

9 Responses to “10 Year Old Blogger-In-Training Pens Anti-Drug Message”

1. Brian says:

Good for him, but DARE is a waste of resources that should be ended asap. It has never been shown to have any measurable effect on whether its participants use drugs.

2. Karen

How CAN you measure the success of the D.A.R.E. program? If it has kept one child from ending up dead on a bathroom floor than it is a success. Are you willing to take a chance on all the kids lives that choose not to use drugs or alcohol that went thru the D.A.R.E program? The program not only teaches the anti drug and anti alcohol message but instills internet safety as well. How many kids did not get kidnapped by an online sicko because of the increased awareness of the program? Why don’t we skip Science as well because it really cannot be proven that early science classes had anything to do with anyone curing a disease? The only place our children are going to end up is ASAP(alcohol safety and awareness program) if we use this logic.

3. Brian says:

Karen,

Your last sentence is amusing because even though you mention logic, you do not seem to actually understand the word’s definition.

The “success” of the DARE program is rather easily measured. Rates of later drug/booze use of kids who were or weren’t in the program. Time after time, no statistically significant difference has ever been found.

Your remarks about science classes are too stupid to merit a response.

4. karen

So statistically speaking we can count all kids who were in the program that chose not to use as a success measure. That spells success to me. My opinion is the only one that matters to me. Hopefully you will not breed your brand of stupidity. This is my last word on the subject so have a nice day.

Mark Twain popularized the phrase “Lies, damn lies and statistics”.

We have no statistical evidence that teaching science in school helps create scientists. In fact, the number of kids that take science and go into a science related field is statistically very low.

Same with almost anything taught in school. If we were to depend on statistics to validate all classes and programs in education, the logical conclusion would be that we are seriously getting ripped off for the massive amount of money spent on all public education.

To determine if a program like DARE is “effective”, the word I specifically used to describe the program in the introduction to the essay, just talk to the participants.

The statistics detractors use for the most part are surveys of High School seniors. “Have you used alcohol in the past 30 days”. Imagine the classroom scene. How many kids check all of the boxes in the affirmative, show it off to their classmates and they all have a good snicker.

A recent survey found only 35% of Americans now say they voted for Obama. Lie? Damn lie? or Statistic?

The primary goal of any education program is to provide information. DARE provides information that kids need to make decisions as surely as science and math classes help them in later life – even if they end up on welfare.

What they do with the knowledge imparted to them is up to them. But you don’t go through a DARE program and come out the other side thinking that drugs are harmless.

DARE is a start. It depends on parents being involved and reinforcing the lessons. It is a partnership.

Can we measure the kids that stayed off drugs that got the DARE lessons in school and the parents echoed the lessons at home with those whose parents simply buy them a PlayStation and a TV and call that parenting? Probably not.

I believe that the DARE program provides the information kids need to make informed decisions.

So, don’t the statistics that many claim prove that DARE is ineffective also substantiate the fact that after giving kids the information they need to keep away from drugs, there are simply kids that are too stupid to take someone’s word for it?

Are these not the same kids that will still touch the stove after being told it is hot?

And can we actually measure the kids that claimed to have used drugs or alcohol, and like the kid that touched the hot stove, one time is probably sufficient to validate what he has been told.

What the statistics don’t and can’t measure is if DARE has lessened the number of hard core druggies and turned some of them into experimenters, or “casual” users. Has it lessened the depth of drug use?

DARE, along with reading, writing and arithmetic are all part of the basic “programming”, if you will, that we all receive to make us productive members of a civilized society. Should we stop teaching correct information because statistics don’t show the gratification we seem to need, or do we simply consider this all a part of a well rounded education?

Until there is something better, I vote for the latter.

6. Brian says:

Karen,

Fair enough. I’m not surprised that your opinion is the only one that matters to you as you display an exceptional combination of ignorance and stupidity. I think the fries are ready for you to empty the basket. It must be sad to be so pathetically dim.

Tom,

You are completely wrong about statistics and the ability to measure educational outcomes. Talking to a DARE grad may make you feel good when he regurgitates what he’s been taught to say, but he is every bit likely to use drugs as a kid who never went through the program. That is how you measure DARE’s (in)effectiveness. Comfort yourself with silly platitudes if you like, but wasting taxpayer money on bogus feel-good programs really should be left to the libs.

Brian;

Please do the research. The statistics are exactly as stated. Do you Google?

There are far too many variables to effectively measure, and polling HS Seniors is hardly valid. However, if the alternative is to do nothing, I vote for DARE, at least until you come up with a better idea.

8. Hurrah for Mitch! I understand that DARE is not proven effective to stop drugs but I do believe that there is a place for society to issue what it expects to be a norm and reinforce that.

I expect Mitch to have a great future in politics if the Lord does not tarry!

Sandy

9. Brian says:

Tom,

Looks like I can’t use hyperlink tags so I’ll just paste in the urls for you.

Satisfied? The alternative is to do something useful with the resources wasted on DARE or return the money to the taxpayers. My prediction is that you will ignore the evidence and still favor wasting your money and mine on stupid feelgood programs that don’t work.