Categorized | Opinion

I spoke to Floyd Bayne several times during the Convention yesterday. And we have previously corresponded on this issue. Floyd, like myself, has been attacked by the Republican Committee in our respective counties. Eric Cantor and Linwood Cobb tightly control both my home committee in Hanover and Floyd’s committee in Chesterfield. And there was a big effort before the Convention to purge as many people as possible that were known to support Fred Gruber. Chesterfield managed to successfully banish Floyd and my friend Joe Cacciotti. Hanover was unsuccessful in banning me.

Thankfully, these underhanded Cantor dirty tricks were not enough to overcome the righteousness of the grassroots and Fred Gruber sent Linwood Cobb packing.

Floyd Bayne has an interesting take on the day and it is worth the read:

I am home now and winding down a bit. It has been an interesting, frustrating, tedious, and ultimately exhilarating day. Please allow me to relate the days events, as well as some past days events that led up to it.

A couple of months ago I signed up to be a delegate to the Republican Party’s 7th District Convention, held today at the Hilton Hotel in Short Pump. I was going there to support my friend, Fred Gruber, to be the new chairman for the district. I submitted my application through a friend in Chesterfield, who was serving as a volunteer for Gruber. I did this rather than submit it directly through the Chesterfield County Republican Committee, because he and I both knew that were I to do that it would get…..”lost.” Well, the county mass meeting came along and my application was accepted. However, between the submission date and a few weeks ago, the committee’s board, led by one Donald Williams (No fan of mine) decided that this just could not stand.

I eventually received an e-mail from the local “Credentialing Committee” (along with my friend, Joe Cacciotti) to attend a meeting they were to hold on a weeknight, to afford me the opportunity to “answer some questions,” lest my application be rejected. You see, I do not say nice things about RINO’s and I had the audacity to run against Eric Cantor twice, that just really grinds their gears. Well, I had better things to do than defend an application that had already been accepted and I told them so and did not attend. The following week I received another e-mail telling me that my application had been rejected. I was not going to be allowed to be a delegate for Fred Gruber. I was shocked, shocked I tell you. I made some inquiries about options that were available to me and was told that I should attend the convention and meet with the district credentialing committee prior to the opening of the convention. This I did.

I arrived early for the David Brat Breakfast and Town Hall Meeting across the street at a local eatery. I immediately saw my friend Ken Davis putting yard signs together, so I helped put up a bunch of those along the entrance to the Hilton. I spoke with several other Brat supporters and folks who had supported my campaigns in the past. We all shared our hope that the day’s events would play out in our (liberties) favor. I saw and spoke to Doc Thompson and Dave Brat before the Town Hall kicked off..Along with Brat we also heard from Senatorial candidate, Shak Hill. The event only served to confirm my decision to support both of these gentlemen.

Read the rest of Floyd’s post here.

Tom is a US Navy Veteran, owns an Insurance Agency and is currently an IT Manager for a Virginia Distributor. He has been published in American Thinker, currently writes for the Richmond Examiner as well as Virginia Right! Blog.Tom lives in Hanover County, Va and is involved in politics at every level and is a Recovering Republican who has finally had enough of the War on Conservatives in progress with the Leadership of the GOP on a National Level.

10 Responses to “Chesterfield GOP Retaliates Against Floyd Bayne – Disenfranchises Him for Opposing Eric Cantor”

1. Joe Cacciotti says:

Tom,

Chesterfield County Republican Committee, TRIED to banish me from being a Delegate but were not successful. And I think it was because I pointed out that what they were accusing me for, I showed them Eric Cantor and his team of supporters had done the same thing. The vote to accept me as a Delegate was not a landslide victory. But I won.

• Tom White says:

I am glad to know of that you prevailed. Wish Floyd had as well.

• Rick Michael says:

The credentials committee did not try to ban you. The committee asked you to come in to discuss comments you had made indicating that you would not support Cantor. You indicated that you had made those comments in anger, retracted those comments, and explained to us that you would support Cantor over a Democrat or an independent…and while it you indicate here that it was not a “landslide victory” it was indeed a very lopsided vote to have you credentialed as a delegate and was certainly not based on any response to the actions of Eric Cantor, or your comments on his actions, but rather your answers to the questions posed regarding your previous comments and your stated intentions. I was happy to see you credentialed and felt that the brief discussion had gone well.

2. Wayne Ozmore says:

Tom:

It is disappointing that while you spoke to Mr. Bayne “several times” regarding his not being seated as a Delegate, you failed to speak to any member of the Credentials Committee of Chesterfield County Republican Committee regarding Mr. Bayne’s application to be elected as a delegate to the 7th District Convention held this past weekend. I challenge your assertion on this story. Mr. Bayne’s actions in contravention with the party plan kept Mr. Bayne from being elected as a delegate. After you read the below evidence, you have to conclude that we went above and beyond to accommodate Mr. Bayne and even gave him one “pass” in the past. I have been a member of the Chesterfield County Republican Committee for 23 years and a member of its executive committee for 17 years and I will tell you this: no falsehood, such as what you have posted here, will go unchallenged. You stand corrected with facts and I demand a retraction based on the evidence below. I expect lack of ethics from certain bloggers, but your failure to actually reach out to all parties in this matter to get the actual story prior to writing it raises serious and significant questions about your integrity and ethics. Sincerely, Wayne “Bubba” Ozmore

Chesterfield County Republican Committee
    Donald C. Williams, Chairman
    12107 Gordon School Road
    North Chesterfield, Virginia 23236

MEMORANDUM for Seventh District Convention Credentials Committee

FROM: Donald C. Williams, Chairman, Chesterfield

DATE: May 9, 2014

RE: FLOYD C. BAYNE

Mr. Bayne filed to be a delegate to the 7th District Convention. His form was delivered on time and in accordance with the Call. After deliberation – and following his refusal to meet with the Credentials Committee upon invitation, the Committee voted to NOT certify Mr. Bayne as a delegate.

Following are some pertinent details of the consideration of the Committee:

1. Mr. Bayne ran for Congress in 2010 as the nominee of the Independent Green Party, opposing the Republican Nominee for that seat.
    2. In 2011, Mr. Bayne petitioned the CCRC for membership.
    3. Mr. Bayne was notified of the State Party Plan requirement of his personal renunciation of his involvement in nomination as the candidate of a Party other than our Republican nominee. (attached)
    4. Mr. Bayne responded and invoked his one-time renunciation. (attached)
    5. Mr. Bayne was not elected as a member of the CCRC.
    6. On October 30, 2013, while writing on his blog that is publicly accessible, Mr. Bayne wrote “MY DECISION” by Floyd Bayne. (attachted)
    7. Mr. Bayne’s statement in “MY DECISION” was to publicly endorse the election of Robert Sarvis, Candidate for the Libertarian Party of Virginia – running against the Republican Nominee for Governor, Ken Cuccinelli.

Inasmuch as Mr. Bayne refused to meet and discuss his actions, the Chesterfield Credentials Committee voted unanimously to NOT certify Floyd C. Bayne as a delegate to the 7th District Convention.

Mr. Bayne is not a delegate to this convention.

• Tom White says:

Floyd Bayne was not subject to the Bylaws of the Republican Party of Virginia or any unit prior to his becoming a member of the CCRC. So his 2010 run for congress is irrelevant. In addition, you say Bayne WAS NOT elected as a member of the CCRC (#5). So I would submit that if that is true, there is a prejudice against Bayne at the CCRC despite his willingness to follow the rules.

You are simply on a witch hunt and Mr. Bayne was improperly denied his credentials because he dared oppose Eric Cantor. We see this all the time in Democrat circles. It is shameful that you would do the same thing.

Now if the CCRC and other units went after the people that publicly endorsed an Independent (Bill Janus) over a Republican (Matt Geary) in the Henrico Commonwealth Attorney race with the same zeal that you have displayed in persecuting those who supported a “less worthy” other than Republican, I would say you are consistent and have the higher moral and righteous grounds on this one. But that is not what happened and we all know it. I was a member of the Hanover Executive Committee and a MDC at the time. And Hanover swept the entire thing under the rug. Bill Bolling personally told me when I offered to present him to the committee for membership consideration that “I don’t even know if I want to be a member” in a very annoyed tone. Yet, despite the reservations expressed to me, a Magisterial District Chairman and a member of the Executive Committee, Bolling and the rest were allowed back in without being hauled before a committee to explain and grovel.

I understand that there were members of the CCRC that supported Janus. How did you handle that? Have they used their one time exemption?

I would also suggest that you go back and read the rules in effect in 2010 and look at what has changed. In 2010 you were required to notify Bayne in writing according to the bylaws within 30 days of the incident. Did you do that? Of course not. Because he was not a Republican.

The rules have been changed several times since 2010. And you want to go back and hold someone to rules that did not exist when the offense was committed.

You hold people who agree with you to a different standard than those that don’t. And it is sorry episodes like this that turn people away from the Republican Party. I no longer participate in the Hanover Committee because of the uneven application of the rules.

You simply can’t justify what you did. And you ought to be ashamed of yourself. If you worked 1/10th as hard on keeping and recruiting new members and respecting differing opinions as you do purging Conservatives who do not blindly follow Progressive congressmen like Cantor you might actually see some Republican Victories.

Get your ass off your shoulders and take politics out of it and welcome Conservatives back into the Committee. Or I will predict that at some point, you will be asked to explain to a CCRC Chairman Floyd Bayne why you worked to purge good people from the committee.

A retraction? You must be joking.
      Tom White recently posted…PERHAPS a FAIR AMOUNT of ALIENATION in BRITISH POLITICS?My Profile

• Wayne ozmore says:

Tom: not even the members of the 7th District Convention Credentials Committee appointed by Fred Gruber would make a motion to seat Mr. Bayne. So, Mr. White, what is it with you? Your making yourself intentionally ignorant of the situation!

• Tom White says:

Not at all, Bubba. I am sick and tired of the Republican campaign to purge good Conservatives from the party. As the Progressives like Eric Cantor drift to the extreme left some units get offended by those of us that insist candidates stick to the Republican Creed. Instead of going after those who insist on holding the Republicans to the Republican Creed, you should be voting on holding those who stray accountable. It is actions like that of the Chesterfield Committee and others that are doing the real harm here in Virginia. Slating and excluding only serves to infuriate the base and drive a wedge between different factions within the party. When the party learns that these loyalty oaths and tests are nothing more than rules designed to eliminate free thinking and force submission to the will of the people who are supposed to represent us, then perhaps we will start winning elections.

Look at the Democrats. They will allow a member to vote for the Socialist Party, the Communist Party, or even a Republican. And when you are willing to come in and participate in the election supporting a Democrat, they welcome you in and are thrilled to have you vote for them this election. They really don’t care who you supported or voted for in the past. But Republicans want to punish prospective voters and call you before the powers that be to be judged. You antagonize and alienate more voters than you think. And for every Floyd Bayne you kick out, hundreds of friends of Floyd are offended and have no wish to be a part of your exclusive committee.

And if you wonder how the party got to where it is today, divided and at war with itself, you have to look at the way you treat people that want to help.

Your answer to Joe and Floyd should have been “We welcome you with open arms and are happy to have you and your efforts and money be a part of the party. We respect your opinion when we disagree and welcome your assistance when we agree. Please tell your friends they are welcome too.”

And you know what, Bubba? If we did that instead of having an inquisition on every person to go over and over each and every perceived sin they committed against the Republican Party, we would start winning. Joe McCarthy would be so proud of you.

Republicans pretend to want to be a big tent party. You worry more about offending “moderates” who are unlikely to vote Republican than you do about offending Conservatives.

I don’t care what your rules say, they are wrong. You are perpetuating and widening the chasm between us. The rules you so vigorously defend were put in place to protect the current elected officials and keep out any and all voices of dissent. Loyalty oaths and litmus tests demanded of those who could help are offensive and is the main reason Democrats win.

Open the door wide and allow people to come in walking upright, not on hands and knees. You need all the people you can get. And only when you and the rest of the units stop playing these silly protectionist games as if there is any logic or sanity to loyalty oaths and past behavior will the Republican Party become relevant and start winning elections outside of districts that are drawn up for Republican wins. We will NEVER convert a Democrat or Libertarian with these silly hoops. They would rather walk away than wear your scarlet letter.

3. Wayne Ozmore says:

The Credentials Committee of the Chesterfield County Republican Committee met with Joe Cacciotti and he acknowledged that he made statements in the recent past indicating that he would not support Eric Cantor (after Eric was our nominee). This action is in direct contravention to the party plan of the Republican Party of Virginia. Mr. Cacciotti, unlike Mr. Bayne, accepted the invitation of the CCRC Credentials Committee and appeared to clarify his statements on not supporting the parties nominee. During the meeting (where I was physically present as a member of the Credentials Committee(, Cacciotti said that his previous statements about not supporting Eric were made in anger. Mr. Cacciotti asked us to reconsider his angry words….the Credentials Committee did reconsider his words against the duly elected nominee of our party and Mr. Cacciotti’s application to be elected as a delegate to the convention was unanimously adopted by the Credentials Committee. With that said, It’s interesting to see Mr. Cacciotti squirm away from the actual facts of what happened and the opportunity we afforded him to explain his actions that were in direct contravention to the party plan.

4. Joe Cacciotti says:

Wayne,

I did attend CCRC meeting to explain and defend my actions against Eric Cantor, BUT I did not squirm away. I was silenced by the Committee Chairman, Donald Williams, during my explanations,saying “We won’t go there and this is not the issue”.

I explained, or tried too until silenced, that the actions and statements I made about Eric Cantor were true. I also tried to explain until Mr. Williams didn’t want to hear what I had to say, that the actions I did and statements I made were no different that what Eric Cantor and his team of supporters have done in the past.

For instance, Eric Cantor’s PAC spent $100K to support a Republican Challenger over the Republican incumbent in Illinois in 2012 Election.

Eric Cantor’s team sought out Democrats to vote in Republican Primaries.

Eric Cantor and his team continually falsify statements about Challengers to deliberately deceive the voters.

All facts and documents of proof that I had with me at that meeting that I wasn’t allowed to discuss.

So where did I squirm away from the facts, Wayne, when I wasn’t able to present facts that no one on the Credentials Committee wanted to hear?

Saturday’s outcome against Linwood Cobb, was a good thing. Now finally the Republican Voices that have been ignored in the past will be heard.

As usual,CCRC Members want to hear what they want and refuse to hear what others have to say.

5. Dave Z. says:

Can someone please explain to me why people should be forced to support Republican candidates that don’t Adhere to the Republican Creed? The same Republican Creed that is read before each Republican meeting.

What We Believe
    Dave Brat fully supports the Republican Creed, and any leader who unflinchingly upholds that Creed which reads as follows…

We Believe…

That the free enterprise system is the most productive supplier of human needs and economic justice,
    That all individuals are entitled to equal rights, justice, and opportunities and should assume their responsibilities as citizens in a free society,
    That fiscal responsibility and budgetary restraints must be exercised at all levels of government,
    That the Federal Government must preserve individual liberty by observing Constitutional limitations,
    That peace is best preserved through a strong national defense,
    That faith in God, as recognized by our Founding Fathers is essential to the moral fiber of the Nation.

… unfortunately, however, our current congressman, Eric Cantor, has failed to uphold that Creed, and it is time for a change. It is time to term limit Eric Cantor.