Categorized | Opinion, Tea Party

Glen Beck Abandons Republican Party: Should We All Follow?

So, radio talk show host and Blaze TV mastermind, Glen Beck has abandoned the Republican Party, and who can blame him? I actually came across this article as I was preparing to write a separate essay on the hopeslessness of the GOP.

However, as a longtime supporter of a 3rd party, I would caution conservatives and constitutionalists from following Glenn into the wilderness. 3rd Party politics is a wilderness, littered with geniuses and freaks of political-nature pushing issues that horrify or mystify the vast majority of the American public. 3rd Party Politics is unproductive, unsuccessful, and only makes headlines when the story is just ridiculous enough to interest Republican and Democrat readers.

glenn_beck-fistsHis frustration, I have no doubt, comes from an honest place. I watch our conservative congressmen squirm as they try to navigate the halls of Congress, discovering each and every day new levels of corruption and finding no power to change anything for the better. What are they to do? Typically, the Republican Leadership puts conservative representatives into impossible positions, asking them to choose between something horrible and something downright terrifying. However they vote, the Leadership wins. However they vote, the grassroots-supporters will be furious with the result. We can’t help it – our government is destroying this country and culture and bankrupting our future, so of course we’re angry when our conservative congressmen participate.

What are conservatives to do? The Republican Party is just as liberal, just as Statist, just as corrupt, and just as Corporatist as the Democrat Party. The only difference is that the GOP isn’t Marxist. Neither was Napoleon, but we aren’t looking for a repeat of that short tyranny. What are conservative, constitutionalist, and libertarian Representatives like Congressmen Dave Brat, Jim Jordan, Justin Amash, and Thomas Massie to do? Frankly, this shouldn’t be a political question. This is now an ethical question.This is an ethical question that both Republican voters and Republican Congressmen will have to answer in their own way.

Glenn Beck is making an ethical decision to “be done with” the Republican Party. He feels that participation is tantamount to advocation. He’s wrong, but his position is understandable.

So why is Glenn Beck wrong?

Imagine that your family is troubled. Your father is serially dishonest, he micro-manages everything, has no respect for the opinions of others, and he takes money you earn to blow on his favorite hobbies and he doesn’t even say thank you. The rules don’t apply to him, but you damn well better obey him or else you get the belt. He embarrasses you in front of strangers and your friends, and you wish like hell that no one knew he was your father. But he is your father. Your mother can’t stand your father either, but she plays right into his abuse. You guess she latches on to the more awful parts of his personality in order to protect herself. After all, she can’t just give him all the power. If there is power to be had, she better grab whatever he leaves open or else she’ll be helpless. She’s terrible with money, but always blames your dad, even though she pays the bills and writes the checks. She lies just as much as him, except, sometimes you think that its not because she wants to lie, she just can’t help it – lost in his evil and corrupt world as she is. After all, she’s his wife. You realize that their marriage doesn’t make them better people, they seem to bring out the worst in each other.

But they are your parents. Now, you’ve got children too, and they live with you and your awful parents. You have lots of choices, except for one – if you choose to leave your family and never look back, you can, only, you cannot take your children with you. You can leave, you can disown mom and dad and damn them to hell. You can write books about how awful they are. You can go out and look for another father figure or mother figure. But you cannot take your children with you. Your children have to live there.

So what do you do? Even though you hate your mom and dad, don’t you stay there to protect your children? Don’t you stay there to try to fight to make things better? If you leave, you might feel better, but all the horrible, the terrible, the evil, the corruption will still be there, and your children will still suffer the consequences.

So, Glen Beck is done with the Republican Party. Ok. Well, how does this help Republicans frustrated with the GOP Leadership? How does this improve American Politics? How does this make anything better, except that Beck can say, “I left! Don’t look at me! It’s not my fault! I don’t support these bastards!”.

And what about Congressmen Brat and Amash, Massie and Jordan? Frankly, I do not believe that they should compromise with the Republican Leadership. They shouldn’t be led like mice into the traps that Boehner and McConnell have set up for them. They shouldn’t even be looking for the lesser of two evils in pursuit of productively applying their principles.

They should say no, and No, and NO! And they should explain why.

If a bill comes before the Freedom Caucus members which demands they consent to the lesser of two evils, then they should not vote on that bill! Let me say that again. Our Congressmen should not vote on legislation where the inevitable consequence of either voting for or against the bill is antagonistic to their principles or philosophy. They should hold press conferences together explaining to the American People why they refuse to participate, to sanction, policy detrimental to the liberty of the American Citizen.

Ayn Rand writes at great length about an important concept that every conservative should become familiar with immediately. This concept is called the Sanction of the Victim. I know Congressmen Brat is familiar with Ayn Rand and am relatively certain that he would know exactly what I mean when I refer to the sanction of the victim. The Republican Party is passing bad laws which will harm their voters, but they want to put the representatives of those voters in impossible positions where they feel they are required to sanction those policies with a vote.

I want my Congressman, Congressman Wittman, to fight the Republican Leadership. I want him to have backbone and courage and vigorous public debates with the vermin running this Republican Party. I have gotten used to the fact that this will probably never happen. So I look at every member of the House Freedom Caucus as my Congressman. After all, they are the only ones in Congress potentially representing me. So I say to them, you do not have to sanction bad legislation and bad policy by voting for the lesser of two evils, just as I don’t have to vote for Jeb Bush or Hillary Clinton, were they to be the two choices before me. We can abstain. Our Congressmen could refuse to vote on legislation and instead offer up their own answer to the supposed problem inevitably exasperated by the Republican Leaderships’ solutions. They can explain why they abstained and why they are offering different legislation and why either voting for or against the bill is a lose lose situation for their constituents.

They can do all of that without leaving the Republican Party. They can keep their principles and philosophy intact without leaving the Republican Party. They can fight the Republican and Democrat Leadership without leaving the Republican Party. So can we. So can Glenn Beck. Leaving does nothing but make us feel better about our own powerlessness.

I’m a libertarian and I fight for the soul of the Republican Party. I’m in. If the conservatives and constitutionalists are in, then I’m in. Let’s fight, and eventually, with some luck, we’ll begin to win the hearts and minds of the American People – something we’ll never do if we continue sanctioning the Republican Leadership.

About Steven Brodie Tucker

Graduated with a degree in Philosophy from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Also studied economics and political science at George Mason.

8 Responses to “Glen Beck Abandons Republican Party: Should We All Follow?”

1. Gerry Baugh says:

first off we did not abandon the Republican Party the Republican Party abandon the people
    YES I HAVE GIVEN UP ON THE SHELL GAMES OF THE REPUBLICAN PARTY THEY ARE LIKE DRUG CZARS THEY CHANGE IN NAME ONLY THE REPUBLICAN PARTY DEPENDS ON VOTES FROM THE TEA PARTY AND CONSERVATIVES TO REMAIN IN OFFICE IF ALL TEA PARTY AND CONSERVATIVES STOP VOTING REPUBLICAN THEY WOULD GET THE MESSAGE AFTER A FEW ELECTION CYCLES AS OF RIGHT NOW
    THE REPUBLICAN PARTY AT THE NATIONAL AND STATE LEVEL AS WELL AS LOCAL LEVEL ARE LIARS AND WORK ONLY FOR THE LOBBYIST WE HAVE A LAWLESS PRESIDENT THAT SHOULD BY ALL MEANS BE IMPEACHED THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IS NOT DOING ANYTHING TO PROTECT THE PEOPLE
    I AM DONE WITH THE REPUBLICAN PARTY IN HANOVER AND IN VIRGINIA YOU NEED NOT LOOK ANY FURTHER THAN YOUR OWN ELECTED OFFICIALS
    GERRY BAUGH
    THE REAL PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY IS NOT ELECTED OFFICIALS IT IS THE COWARDS BEHIND THE CURTAIN PULLING THE LEVER

• Gene Lefty says:

It’s all about the cabbage Gerry.

Most of what you imply I have been saying for years. You are respected for saying it, while I am disrespected.

In my opinion, you will have to cross party lines to fix the Republican Party. They know that most will not do that.

Good luck, and thanks for the comment!

2. Gerry, I completely understand how you feel – but do you really believe anything will be made better by your stepping away? Or have the rest of us fighting for the soul of the Republican lost another soldier and thus that much weaker for it?

3. Scott Duncan says:

Well said, well written.

4. Jose Brock

Quitters NEVER Win!

5. David Jackson

Steven,
    I don’t wish to be critical but your analogy is weak. As someone who grew up in a climate very much like you described I can tell you there are many options the mother can take besides what you may deduce was her only course of action. The same with the Republican Party.I do agree that giving up entirely is not the way to go. As long as there are conservatives in the party we should support them. The party will have to reform itself or it will destruct. I chose the former but will live with the latter if it comes to that. Third parties have failed in the past but that does not mean a third party could not become a viable alternative. We have all thought that what is happening today would never occur but it did and has. The progressive republican is worse than the democrat. One of my most productive votes I did was for Jimmy Carter. Had Ford run and won there would never had been a Ronald Reagan. Ford would have been in 2 presidential cycles and with the Bush dynasty and Reagan’s age he would not have had a chance.When a moderate Republican runs for any office we have three options (a third party, stay home or vote the democrats). I personally will do the first or last options depending on who the third party is. Voting for a progressive Republican is like dying by a thousand pin pricks.Glen Beck is correct I am in agreement with him.

6. Steven Tucker

David, I assure you my analogy was purely political.

7. Robert Shannon says:

I have often cited that I left the republicrat party in 2004 with the passage of Medicare Part D. No conservative, at least the ones who can still perform basic math could remain in the party after watching the spectacle of adding a trillion dollars onto the back of a program that was already unsustainable. Bush acted first to assure his re-election ( the win at all cost group think) and then of course the payoff to lobbyists of the drug companies and a assortment of related industries that benefitted by the new legislation. Send your drug bill to your grandchildren who will have to pay back the money borrowed from the Chinese. It should have been crystal clear at that particular juncture that no remaining conservative voice still existed, DC was now for all who cared to view it with honest open eyes a progressive haven with both political parties having succumbed to the money changers.

As for the fix……..we have 2 and only 2 distinct clear choices left to decide upon. Ride it out to the end, one that will embody a 25 year period of realignment, economic realignment that concedes total control to the central planners. That of course entails a generation of Americans (our kids & grandkids) who will not have the economic liberty and choices the boomers enjoyed. The life we enjoyed will not be there. Job and employment opportunities will be nil, periods of rampant inflation and a downward spiral of our currencies value, ongoing and continued social strife, agitated by one group blaming another group for the nations woes ( much like we are seeing today with racial animosity and suspicion at 30 year highs ) . At some point perhaps a lasting economic depression mirroring what occurred in the 20’s. The difference this time however will be the federal governments inability to provide any real measure of relief–they are already out of bullets.

The second manner with which to fix this requires EXACTLY WHAT BECK HAS DONE. Republican party establishment does not take the Patriot movement seriously, and it is the direct fault of the weak knee and squishy feely manner with which the Patriot movement has been compliant , returning to the fold each election cycle like zombies, lining up at the voting booth to cast yet another pointless ballot for the “less of two evils” It reminds me of the 12 year old who runs away from home, gets about 3 miles , and then becomes terrified of the unknown, turns around and goes back to the devil he knows.

The third party can be utilized as a very effective tool, leverage to use in making it clear to the repbulicat establishment—you take us for granted at your own peril. Voting for Rob Sarvis satisfied my innate desire to Vote, it allowed me to cast a ballot for a candidate , while not agreeing with him on a number of issues, he was the only candidate with the degree of integrity that satisfied my first and most important quality in any candidate. Like or hate him, no one has their hooks in him, and that could not be said about either Cuccinelli or Gillespie.

Unless and until conservatives ( particularly the Patriot movement) understands and ACTS ON THIS PREMISE, then things will fall into place leaving us unfortunately with REMEDY # 1. Ride it out and watch our children and grandchildren suffer at the hands of these fools.

The Patriot movement despite all of the tough talk has caved. They volunteer every election cycle to do the door to door canvassing, man the phones, and write checks to anyone with an R next to their name. Quite frankly I find this pathetic. It is as if the very day after the election they collectively lose their memories. Since 2009 , at the federal and state level the republicrats have lied to voters, over and over and over. Reforming the republican party with marshmallows …….NO, it will take a 2 X 4, and the leaders of this movement either don’t have the stomach for it, or they are enamored with as Tom White has coined, the ” seat at the table”

I sit patiently , doing what I can at the local level ( with the 2 X 4 ) waiting for the spineless and the coopted cowards to get the hell out of the way. If we are to reform the republicrat party, and that is my choice, it will only be done with brute force, not finesse. Many of these folks are thugs, criminals in expensive suits, but criminals nonetheless.

If and when we reach a point when the State Leader of the Patriot movement holds a press conference a day or two before the election, and announces the Patriot movement has decided to ask every registered voter in the movement tomorrow to write in a candidates name, openly dooming the republican on the ticket, regardless of the outcome, then and only then will you have their attention. Then and only then will change begin to take root. Until then the establishment knows the collective majority of voters in the Patriot movement are stuck in the mindset of ” win baby win”. Having an R next to the winning candidates name is meaningless, winning isn’t progress, and the dunderhead leading the Patriot movement either still don’t get that, or they are part of the problem themselves. No matter how many times the republicrats lie to them, no matter how many promises they break—they run right back to their abusers . At some point the chain must be broken.

Bob Shannon