Categorized | Opinion

How Trump Lost The Libertarians and Constitutionalists: And Won Everyone Else

As a Constitutional Libertarian, I am looking for a candidate who understands the virtue and framework of the old Constitutional Republic which had protected our rights and liberties for many years. I am looking for a candidate who understands that our economy is best left in the hands of the American People, not in the hands of wealthy industrial tycoons and the politicians they purchase. I am looking for a candidate that understands the danger government poses, merely by virtue of its monopoly on force, to a free society. I am looking for a candidate who will fight for the liberty and sovereignty of the individual citizen and who will respect Federalism by respecting States’ Rights.

Republican Presidential candidate Trump reacts as he speaks at the 2015 FreedomFest in Las VegasFor all these reasons, Donald Trump could never represent me in elected office. I’m out, but what about the rest of my fellow libertarians? Well, his aggressive stance on military action overseas, with no structure or framework defining when and how such force would be warranted, or whether or not he would seek Congressional Approval, pretty much lost him half of all Libertarians. His support of tariffs lost him the other half. No one identifying with Libertarianism is going to vote for Donald Trump. He looks and sounds too much like a tyrant for us to support, or even vote for in a close election.

Constitutionalists seem similarly weary and tentative. Donald Trump doesn’t seem like the kind of man that would allow something as decrepit and complicated as the United States Constitution stop him. He seems more like the kind of man who looks at what Obama has done, and figures he could use all the same executive powers, but unlike Obama, you know… do good. This kind of presence and attitude will scare the living hell out of constitutionalists, that is, people who care more about preserving the Constitutional Republic than winning partisan political victories.

Lucky for Trump, Constitutionalists and Libertarians probably constitute less than 5% of the American population.

Conservatives ranging from evangelicals to TEA Party types, Independents, and those old blue-dog Democrats seem to love the guy. In fact, everyone except establishment Republicans and establishment Democrats seem to love the guy. Donald Trump is polling well with minorities coveted by the GOP, despite his political incorrectness. Conservatives, long spat upon and humbled by the GOP Leadership cannot get enough of Trump’s belittling and humbling of that same Leadership. The enemy of their enemy is their friend, their candidate, and, if they have their way, the next President of the United States of America.

The American People are tired of having a weak, skulking, smarmy, elitist government. Trump is a strong, bold, plain-talking, billionaire of the people (yeah, I don’t get that either, but roll with it). The GOP Leadership are finally discovering how few Republicans actually stand with them and how many Republican voters straight up despise them. Their well-financed minority is losing their grip on their own electorate and I don’t think they’ll ever get it back. Sadly, I think the Rand Paul’s, Ted Cruz’s, and Mike Lee’s are going to fall victim to the kind of power-populism the American People are playing with, risking the further erosion of our Constitution, liberty, and rights.

The People are confusing Donald Trump with Ronald Reagan. Donald Trump more accurately resembles America’s first Progressive President, Theodore Roosevelt or his intellectual decedent Herbert Hoover. Thus, the Coolidge, Goldwater, Reagan Republicans are going to find themselves, even in the defeat of the GOP elite, still without a party of their own.

That is, unless we pause and give Ted Cruz and Rand Paul a second look.

About Steven Brodie Tucker

Graduated with a degree in Philosophy from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Also studied economics and political science at George Mason.

7 Responses to “How Trump Lost The Libertarians and Constitutionalists: And Won Everyone Else”

1. Gary Porter

Steven,

Great analysis of why Trump must never become President. There are other reasons, but others have made them. The only critique I have is your description of Herbert Hoover as an intellectual descendent of Teddy Roosevelt. I would be interested in seeing how you make that connection sometime (later, when the dust settles after the Kim Davis issue – if it does).

2. ele says:

Maybe Libertarians represent only 5% of the voters, but those on the fence(both Rs and Ds) and the independents represent a larger % that can pull off an election (the results of which hopefully not “fixed”). My personal view? As a Libertarian, who ran for office as a Libertarian, I will vote ONLY for a Libertarian. If none are on the ticket I’ll vote for NOTA. I’m tired of the sugar coated poison anointed candidates who campaign to the right and once elected, rule from the left.

I don’t think this country has hit rock bottom. Too many are still living the illusion that we can save the dead “baby” by just changing the bath water, rearranging the chairs on the USSS Titanic or changing the tune its band is playing. If it takes someone like Trump to finally pull the drain stopper, expose the deodorized stink, maybe even his own, then so be it.

3. Kenneth Hawk says:

If America can be saved it’s going to take a GR8 leader who, as you say, “understands the virtue and framework of the old Constitutional Republic which had protected our rights and liberties for many years.”

And that person is going to have to be tough as nails & smart as a whip.

TED CRUZ is the ONLY candidate that possesses EVERY single one of these.

4. Trump Voter says:

With all due respect Mr. Tucker,

You don’t speak for all of the constitutionalists and Libertarians although you believe that you represent all of them.

I am both Libertarian and a constitutional conservative. I support Trump. He is the ONLY reason Amnesty, the Dream Act, Illegal Immigration and Border Security are even being mentioned in the GOP debate.

If you care about the $18 Trillion dollar debt, getting 94 million unemployed Americans back into the work force paying into the Social Security and Medicare systems is crucial to the band aid needed for financing these Ponzi Schemes. Trump understands this. Illegals working in this country under the table for cash aren’t paying into the systems. Send them home. Get Americans working again.

5. Steven Brodie Tucker

I believe it could be that we are using the words Libertarian and Constitutionalist differently. Again, by Constitutionalist I’m referring to people who put the Constitutional Republic ahead of winning partisan legislative victories or using illegal executive actions to achieve political goals. Libertarians are harder to define. This covers everything from classical liberals who believe in a small federalist system (me), civil libertarians, and Ron Paul Republicans. Just remember, that a Trump powerful enough to give you everything you want, is a Trump powerful enough to take it away.

6. David Jackson

Steven,
    Again I like your comments for I too lean toward the libertarian ideology and I will not vote for a moderate, establihisment or another compromiser. I do differ with you on Trump for this reason, Trump is the only candidate excepting Cruz that has spoken out so strongly about the immigration problem we are facing. As far as all the issues we now face, they are insignificant to immigration and all the rest will not be solved until this is resolved. Our borders, our culture and our constitutional government will become extinct. I do like the three candidates you mention, Cruz, Paul, and Lee, but they do not have the Bush family resources to win. Don’t forget even Reagan ended up having to select George as his running mate and we have since been saddled by the Bush machine. I will be one of the Trump supporters but I will vote and work for any of the other three you name.
    David Jackson

7. Bryce Phillips says:

Trump and Reagan have some things in common, and no that is not a compliment of either of them. I don’t care what your ideology is, how can anyone be a fan of the Reagan, or the Clintons for that matter? Is it just me or does building lots of prisons not seem like a real libertarian anti government freedom fighter kinda move.