Categorized | Opinion, Tea Party

Ted Cruz and the 54 Million Evangelicals

“”In this last election 54 million Evangelicals stayed home,” asserted Cruz on Tuesday. “If we can simply bring Christians to the polls, is it any wonder that we have the government we have, we have the leaders we have, if believers stay home and leave electing our leaders to unbelievers? We get exactly what we deserve.” christianpost

I’ve enjoyed the last few days of our readers defining my political positioning, though I am afraid that some of the erudite comments are rather misleading. I am a conservative libertarian constitutionalist, or a constitutionally conservative libertarian, or some variance thereof. I’m also a Christian and unlike many of my more libertarian brethren I am unafraid of Christianity playing a role in my political thinking. I absolutely oppose the imposition of any religion by virtue of government action, but I also look for Christian principles in my politicians. I think Ted Cruz is absolutely correct when he says that we need to get the 54 Million Evangelicals that didn’t show up to vote in 2012 to the polls in 2016. I absolutely believe that when deciding on a candidate for the most paramount position of power within our executive branch, that it is perfectly reasonable for Christians to desire a President who prays, who seeks Christ, and who loves God.

Furthermore, I think we would all be doing ourselves a great disservice if we ignored the fact that religion or the lack thereof does play a role in the political opinions of the vast majority of Americans, be they protestant, catholic, pagan, muslim, or atheist. Why are only Christians meant to be ashamed of their religion? Why are only Christians not allowed to have their religious faith influence their political reasoning? It seems to be fine for Atheists and Muslims, does it not?

I suppose the fundamental threat of religious belief entering into political reasoning is the potential for religious sects to use government to force their religion down the throats of everybody else. No one wants that, except for theocrats and atheists of various Statist persuasions. Which is why, while I look for men and women of faith to represent me, I temper that with an uncompromising demand for them to respect the Constitution of the United States of America, to respect our history, our liberty, and our individual rights.

I’m not sure there is anyone in our government today who better exemplifies the balance between deep religious faith and constitutional commitment than Ted Cruz; and because of this, he is both attractive to evangelicals and feared by non-evangelicals alike. We’ve learned not to trust our politicians over the years, because we’re constantly lied to, manipulated, and then when all is said and done, ruled over. The idea of nominating an Evangelical Christian is frightening to some, because, deep down, we all recognize that our Constitution is no longer protecting us, that our government does whatever it wants to do, and that we only have the rights and liberties that a small collection of old men and women in Washington DC allow us to have.

But isn’t that the argument for a nominating a strict Constitutionalist for President? After watching these last two debates, I am convinced that the only candidates running for President that understand the United States Constitution (or who are actually willing to live under it) are Ted Cruz and Rand Paul. Every other candidate gets squishy whenever a political issue with some demographic importance arises. And who is leading the fight to defund Planned Parenthood? Rand Paul and Ted Cruz of course.

Let’s not fool ourselves. We Evangelicals are the only ones trying to hide our faith and religion in the political sphere. Do you think it is any great mystery that so many of our Catholic friends are looking for amnesty for millions of Catholic immigrants in the country illegally? Which strikes me as odd, since so many of the illegal immigrants in this country have come from Asia, Russia, and Saudi Arabia on overstayed Visas. Are we really willing to do nothing about the more radical illegal immigrants who are here from non-Catholic countries because we want more Catholics at Mass? Obviously, this isn’t the only reason why folks support illegal immigrants. Some folks just like the cheap labor. Some folks like the fact that if naturalized that vast majority will vote Democrat. Some just like that they seem to work hard (at least the ones who work).

The point is, religion does play a role in our lives, and if Evangelical Christians are the only ones who have to be ashamed of their religion, the only ones who aren’t allowed to say, “You know what, I really love that this candidate has a strong prayer life”, then we are giving our country away to every other religious group, over to every other non-religious group, because they have no qualms with making their decisions on the basis of their religious or non-religious faith.

I don’t always agree politically with my Christian brethren either. I don’t always agree with Rand Paul and Ted Cruz. I get very uncomfortable when folk begin legislating morality beyond what the Constitution allows, but I do know that Ted Cruz has as deep a commitment to the United States Constitution as he has to his religious faith, so I am not frightened by his faith. Instead, his faith encourages me, because I do believe that people led by God, who have an intimate spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ, can be used for Gods’ will, which sees much further and is much wiser, then if it were lacking. I also know that Ben Carson and Mike Huckabee are actively courting evangelicals. But I don’t see the same commitment to the Constitution in them.

Imagine, 54 million Evangelicals joining the Republican Party in 2016, across all 50 States, because, for once, we were not afraid of our faith. I think Ted Cruz is right and I think if we considered it, it would change everything. All the electoral math goes out the door at that point. Not even The Donald could acquire so many new voters. Just something to think about and consider.

About Steven Brodie Tucker

Graduated with a degree in Philosophy from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Also studied economics and political science at George Mason.

10 Responses to “Ted Cruz and the 54 Million Evangelicals”

1. Victoria Luck says:

OBAMA’s Christianity vs REAGAN’s Christianity:

http://www.youtube.com/embed/OvN1jTkzXbY?rel=0 (4 mins)

2. LIBERTY!

“Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.”
    John Adams

“It can not be emphasized too strongly or too often that this great nation of ours was founded, not by religionist, but by Christians … not on religions, but on the gospel Jesus Christ.”
    — Patrick Henry

“It is when people forget God that tyrants forge their chains.” Patrick Henry

“The Bible is worth all other books which have ever been printed.” Patrick Henry

“…………Take the Bible out of our schools and there would be an explosion in crime.” Benjamin Franklin

“It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible.”
    George Washington

“God grants liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.” Daniel Webster

“Education is useless without the Bible.” Noah Webster

“Corrupt or incompetent men will be appointed to execute the laws; the
    public revenues will be squandered on unworthy men; and the rights of
    the citizens will be violated or disregarded. Noah Webster

“If a republican government fails to secure public prosperity and happiness, it must be because the citizens elect bad men to make and administer the laws.” Noah Webster

“To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society”
    ~Theodore Roosevelt

“Pastors in particular and Christians in general were so influential in our move for independence.”
    ~ John Adams

3. Paul Thiel says:

Truly great quotes that could not be more appropriate than in today’s political climate.

What do you know about Trump’s faith that we do not know-are we supposed to say he is lying about that too when he tells us he is a Christian and does attend church but not as much as he would like to?
    How many Christians fit into that category!

4. robert shannon says:

In discussions with college students I often make the point that secular thinking leads to the assumption that man , and man alone can solve every problem society faces, which evidence clearly shows is not true.

When one does not have faith or a belief system grounded in a higher power, one then slips into a belief system comprised of mortal men/women finding solutions to problems that have confounded man since the beginning of time.

It is at that juncture when the problems begin, crafting one remedy after another , often overlooking that same model having failed in the past ( as a remedy) If one does not believe in a higher power relying instead on man alone finding solutions it is easy then to see how man attempts to create “heaven here on earth”, premised on the falsehood that that is possible to begin with. I hold to the belief that it is not ( creating Heaven here on earth )

Clearly if a human being has no faith, then their faith becomes rooted in man , and in man finding these solutions. The acceptance of graft or corruption is then inevitable, for no remedy is without some level of it, and the subsequent acceptance of the same.

On the other hand a person of abiding faith has that moral boundary if their faith is strong they won’t cross. All of that said it is Steve’s point of relying on the Constitution that protects us all , should moral parameters be broken, then the rule of law prevails. A true “back up” system when mans natural weakness surfaces, when faith isn’t alone enough to shun the temptation to circumvent faith based limitations preventing the wrong.

The two go hand in hand, it is appalling that Evangelicals stay home on any election, but the cause (or excuse) that the candidates do not inspire voters to turnout is real. Hard to get excited about the candidates at all levels we are often left with to decide on. One only need look at the decline in voter turnout that shows this modern day issue is a natural result of a process that emphasizes who can raise the most money as the leading indicator of a candidates worthiness. Replace the system with public financing and maybe, just maybe the caliber of the candidates who shun that aspect (raising money) goes up. I have had decent people consider running for public office but find that element more than they are willing to subject themselves to for months on end.

It isn’t just the ensuing folly, or the waste of resources, but the sure to follow corruption we see so much of today in government. The money has led to a problem that is now not only at epic proportions, but out in the open. Until we find a way to remove that corrosive element I see no resolution.

Bob Shannon

5. Camille Harris says:

Liberalism grew out of their disdain for religion.

The Communists are Godless. Connect the dots.

6. Stand with Rand says:

Tuck-

Ted Cruz supported TPA and TPP. When are you going to realize Ted Cruz is giving Lip Service to his commitment to the Constitution- pandering to the Tea Party?

He gave away the United States’ Sovereignty.

• Steven Brodie Tucker

Like Cruz, I support free trade. I opposed giving fast track authority to this President only because of his anti-business anti-capitalism philosophy. I’d have supported fast track with most other Presidents. Opposing free trade is dangerous and you should look at the Hoover Administration’s role in causing the Great Depression.

7. Kristen says:

The math doesn\’t work. There are approximately 70 million registered voters. Pew Foundation research shows that 46% of Christians are Evangelical. Even if all registered voters are Christians (they aren\’t) , and all Evangelicals stayed home then you are talking about 32.2 million.

It undermines your credibility when you fudge easily checked numbers.

8. Steven Brodie Tucker

The idea is that if a candidate can excite evangelicals, they will register to vote. So we aren’t counting only the ones who are registered. So these aren’t my numbers, but I expect they are looking at total number that are registered and have been registered at some point in the past.